Oh my gosh you guys…. it’s almost August already! Where is the Summer going?! I wanted to get you the recipe for this no bake cool blueberry pie before Fall gets here! Tis the season for blueberries and this cool blueberry pie is a delicious, refreshing way to use them up. And you don’t have to worry about turning on your oven in the Summer heat! Hence the name “cool blueberry pie”. I don’t know about you but my old oven heats the upper level of my house about 10 degrees every time I try to bake something. When it’s 90 degrees outside, that’s the LAST thing I want. And yes, it was recently 90 degrees in Minnesota believe it or not.
My mom has been making a similar version of this pie for years and it has always been a family favorite. We created the cashew coconut crust recipe so it would be free from refined carbs and refined sugars but this pie is also great with a graham cracker crust if you prefer. It’s also an option for people who can’t tolerate tree nuts. Another thing to note is that you can use frozen blueberries if you don’t have access to high quality fresh blueberries. We were fortunate enough to make our cool blueberry pie out of blueberries my mom had picked the week before. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Cool Blueberry Pie
For the crust
- 2 cups cashews (we used raw cashews)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. gelatin (we used Bulletproof Collagelatin)
- 1/2 cup Lakanto or coconut sugar
- Whipping cream or coconut cream for topping
- Add all of the crust ingredients to a food processor and blend until a “dough” forms.
- Press the crust into an 8 inch pie pan and place in the refrigerator to set.
- While the crust is setting, heat the blueberries and water in a saucepan until they reach a gentle boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the lakanto or coconut sugar and the gelatin. Allow the gelatin and the sweetener to dissolve completely. Taste the mixture and add more sweetener if necessary.
- Pour the blueberry filling into a bowl and let it set until it’s semi firm.
- Once the filling is semi firm, spread it into the prepared crust.
- Return the finished pie to the fridge until cool and firm.
- Cut the pie, top with whipped cream or coconut cream and enjoy!!